Friday, July 17, 2009

Oeufs In A Row

One of my favorite things about having moved to Providence is my newly developed appreciation for the special foods I can only get in Virginia (Richmond and Virginia Beach, specifically). For my recent trip home I had assembled a mental cue of what I felt were essential foods to have during my brief visit:

1. Ellwood's vegan almond cookie
2. Chick fil a's chicken sandwich with extra pickles
3. Sushi from Akida
4. Anything from Bojangles(?!)
5. Eggs in tuna sauce from 8 1/2


I was able to visit all of these places (success!) and while ordering at 8 1/2 I explained to the cashier and cook that I was no longer a Richmond resident, that I lived far away and would they pleease tell me how to make that amazing tuna sauce. Very kindly they did, generously listing the ingredients and method of prep. While I don't feel I should publish here what they told me (it didn't seem like a huge secret or anything, but still) I think I can describe it without giving too much away. The sauce is very rich, cream based and balanced well with citric acid and a few briney components. It's processed in a robo coupe for a minute giving it a smooth, velvet consistency. The deep tuna flavor (boosted with anchovy) is cut perfectly with the soft-center boiled eggs they serve it with. Okay! For more than that, you'll have to visit the real deal or invite me to your next hor d'oeurve party.



I thanked them for sharing, ordered two to go, took a seat on the bench outside and promptly devoured them.
I've been back for a few weeks now and a few nights ago having all the necessary ingredients on hand to attempt the tuna sauce, I set some eggs to boil. It turned out really well with the exception of a few details. My sauce was much chunkier than the original due to a troublesome processor. Also the quantities were off, my version a bit tart from an overzealous addition of lemon juice. Even still, the results were still pretty tasty and equally devourable on soft-center boiled eggs and paired with a simple romaine salad. I'll definitely try it again, even just to remind myself of my favorite town in the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment